One of the hardest obstacles to getting employed: Being overqualified, or being advised you’re overqualified by employers.
You would possibly hear it in rejection emails after making use of for a job, in an interview query, or while you get feedback after your interview.
No matter what, it’s irritating, demoralizing and troublesome to overcome!
Don’t fear although, on this article, I’m going to stroll you thru:
- What it means to be overqualified
- Why employers suppose being overqualified is unhealthy
- How to overcome being overqualified in cowl letters, resumes, interviews and extra
Let’s get began!
What Does Being Overqualified for a Job Mean?
Before discussing how to get employed whereas being overqualified, we’d like to outline what “overqualified” actually means…
Employers have a few massive fears and issues when hiring somebody.
One of the largest is the concern that you just’ll go away inside the first yr. You see, it prices a lot of time, vitality and sources to rent you, practice you, and so on.
It’s typically weeks or months earlier than you actually begin producing outcomes for the employer, but they’re paying your wage ranging from day one. They’re additionally paying individuals to practice you, supervise you, arrange advantages/payroll with you, and so on.
It’s a massive course of and after they rent a full-time, everlasting worker, they don’t need to have to repeat that course of once more quickly.
So typically instances, after they ask “aren’t you overqualified?” they’re simply involved you don’t actually need this job for the precise causes, and also you’re unlikely to keep for lengthy.
Along with that, they could fear your wage expectations are too excessive for what they’re prepared to pay.
When employers say you’re overqualified, they often imply one of many following:
- They’re involved you don’t actually need this particular job, and also you simply want one thing for the short-term whilst you look for one thing higher
- They are involved you received’t be happy on this job and can go away quickly after becoming a member of
- They’re afraid you’re going to need too excessive of a wage
- They need to rent someone youthful (sure, age discrimination occurs, sadly)
Now, we will’t do a lot about that final one sadly… the one resolution is apply to many corporations, like all job seeker ought to do, and settle for that a few won’t need to rent someone your age if you happen to’re job hunting at age 50+.
That’s okay! You solely want to discover one job, proper?
For all the opposite obstacles listed above, there are easy methods to put an employer’s thoughts comfy and rapidly reply any questions on you being overqualified.
How to Get Hired While Being Overqualified for a Job
The greatest manner to get employed even if you happen to appear overqualified is to tackle these points upfront.
If you suppose wage may be their concern, inform them that you just perceive that this place won’t pay in addition to among the positions you’ve held previously, and also you’re okay with that.
If you suppose they’d have a look at your resume employment history and be involved about why you need this job, clarify it in a cowl letter and be prepared to answer questions in your interview about this.
For instance, right here’s one frequent state of affairs I see a lot as a Recruiter:
Any time you’ve been a Manager or Supervisor previously, and you then apply for an individual-contributor place the place you received’t handle anybody, employers are going to be involved about why you appear to need to take a step again in your profession.
You’ll typically hear questions like, “aren’t you overqualified?” in situations like this.
The secret’s to present them that is what you need to be doing, and also you’ve put a lot of thought into this. Explain WHY you’ve made the choice to transfer into a person contributor function.
If you clarify your self effectively, they’ll be thrilled to have somebody together with your expertise in that kind of function! But you could have to clarify your self.
One wonderful means to put their thoughts that you just want their job comfy is present them you’re making use of for a number of jobs of this kind.
You would possibly finish your rationalization by saying, “… in fact, all of the positions I’m applying for now are individual-contributor roles. This is the exact type of role I want, after putting a lot of thought into it.”
Writing a Cover Letter if You’re Overqualified
Once you’ve determined to apply, it’s a good concept to tackle the actual fact you’re overqualified in your cowl letter.
Explain what you’re wanting for, why their place caught your consideration, and the way you’d assist their group succeed. Make certain to spend further time/effort exhibiting them you’ve thought a lot about your job search, and why this job is the precise kind of job you’re wanting for.
Here’s an article on how to write a great cover letter.
Writing a Resume if You’re Overqualified
Next, you’ll want a nice resume. If you’re overqualified, you’re most likely questioning, “should I remove some experience from my resume?”
You don’t at all times want to, however if you happen to’ve been working for 20+ years, it might probably assist curb age discrimination and get you extra interviews.
However, an important factor is to tailor your recent resume experience to be as related as potential for the roles you’re making use of for.
For instance, if you happen to’re a former supervisor wanting to transfer into an individual-contributor function, you actually need to emphasize the hands-on, direct work you’ve achieved just lately, if any.
Don’t emphasize administration, management, and delegation since you received’t be doing any of that in your subsequent job.
You want to present employers what’s most related to THEM. And you work this out by learning their job posting.
If you need assist writing a nice resume, listed below are some sources to get you began:
Answering Interview Questions About Being Overqualified
Next up is the interview. If you’ve written a nice resume and canopy letter, it is best to begin getting interviews even if you happen to appear overqualified for the place you utilized for.
But the employer remains to be going to ask you about it within the interview, so be prepared to reply questions on being overqualified.
Here’s how to reply interview questions on being overqualified:
- Explain precisely why you need this job
- If potential, inform them you’re making use of for many roles related to theirs
- Show them you’ve put a lot of thought into your profession and job search in order that they don’t fear you’ll change your thoughts and go away
- Tell them wage isn’t an important issue to you, and also you’re prepared to talk about and negotiate to make it work
- If you’re taking a “step back” in your profession (e.g. shifting from Manager to individual-contributor), be prepared to clarify why
Here are a few quite common interview questions you ought to be prepared for:
Being Overqualified – You Can’t Win ‘Em All
The tips and resources above will give you the best chance at getting a job while being overqualified.
But nothing works 100% of the time. Some employers out there just will not want to hire you for their job, no matter how persuasive you are.
They have a certain type of person in mind, and your background doesn’t fairly match that.
But that’s okay. There are so many employers, and also you solely want one job, proper?
So don’t get discouraged.
If you comply with these steps, concentrate on doing issues the precise manner, and maintain repeating… you’ll find a job.
So… Should You Apply for a Job Even if You’re Overqualified?
Yes, completely. As lengthy because it’s a job you need! Never let somebody discourage you from making use of for a place you suppose you’d carry out effectively in.
This is true whether or not you’re overqualified, or a tiny bit underqualified (lacking one or two particular areas of expertise, however certified in any other case).
You by no means know until you apply. The solely sure-fire manner to NOT get the job is to not apply.
Getting a Job While Being Overqualified – Quick Instructions
- Use your cowl letter to clarify why you need their particular job, and why you need such a job basically
- Tailor your resume to spotlight probably the most related items of your latest work for their job duties (utilizing the job description)
- In the interview, be prepared to clarify why that is the precise kind of job you need (identical to in your cowl letter)
- If potential, inform them you’re making use of for many roles related to theirs. This will make them really feel extra “safe” in hiring you
- If you’re taking a “step back” in your profession (e.g. shifting from Manager to individual-contributor), be prepared to clarify why you’ve chosen to make this transfer
- If you suppose wage is a concern of theirs, contemplate telling them wage is negotiable and also you perceive this job won’t pay as a lot as some jobs you’ve held previously
- Apply to a lot of jobs. Not each employer will rent somebody who’s overqualified, however some will
- Don’t get discouraged, and don’t let anybody persuade you not to apply for a job simply since you’re a bit overqualified. You CAN get employed if you happen to comply with these steps